20000706: McIDAS RTGRIDS MRF/AVN data

>From: Bill Fingerhut <address@hidden>

Bill,

>I've been working on my McIDAS scripts to display model data.
>There is more to do than I thought, but I am making good
>progress.

Excellent.  Glad to hear it.

>I ran into a problem while testing on RTGRIDS/MRF data.
>All the grids saved on Cirrus are Mercator projections, and
>we don't have the full set; on your server there are many
>more grids and they are all Polar Stereographic. So, either
>you or us, probably us, are decoding the data stream
>incorrectly. What do you suppose we need to change?

I am willing to bet that your XCD grid decoding is not up to the latest
addendum.  At some point in the not so recent past, an addendum was
made to McIDAS-XCD 7.6x that covered splitting up decoding of MRF grids
into MRFs and AVNs.  Assuming that you are still running your ADDE
server on cirrus, I see that this change has not been made:

DATALOC ADD RTGRIDS CIRRUS.LSC.VSC.EDU

Group Name                    Server IP Address
--------------------         ----------------------------------------
RTGRIDS                      CIRRUS.LSC.VSC.EDU

<LOCAL-DATA> indicates that data will be accessed from the local data directory.
DATALOC -- done
DSINFO G RTGRIDS

        Dataset Names of Type: GRID  in Group: RTGRIDS

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
ALL            400    Real-Time Grids
ECMWF           10    ECMWF Grids
ETA             40    ETA Grids
JET             10    LSC Jet Stream Grids
MISC            10    Miscellaneous Grids
MRF            100    MRF Grids
MRF-UW           2    MRF Grids in UW stream
NGM             40    NGM Grids
NGM-UW           2    NGM Grids in UW stream
RUC             80    RUC Grids

DSINFO -- done

Compare this to the same DSINFO listing from adde.unidata.ucar.edu;

DSINFO G RTGRIDS

        Dataset Names of Type: GRID  in Group: RTGRIDS

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
ALL           1000    All XCD Real-Time Grids
AVN            100    Real-Time AVN Grids
ECMWF           10    Real-Time ECMWF Grids
ETA            120    Real-Time ETA Grids
GRIDS         9999    All Possible GRID files
MDR             10    Manually Digitized Radar
MISC            10    Real-Time Miscellaneous Grids
MRF            100    Real-Time MRF Grids
MRF-UW           2    MRF Grids in UW stream
NGM             40    Real-Time NGM Grids
NGM-UW           2    NGM Grids in UW stream
RUC             80    RUC (MAPS) Grids

DSINFO -- done

I could not get listings of GRID files off of cirrus, so I am suspicious
that the ADDE server for this data, at least, has changed at Lyndon.
If you could point me to the correct server machine, I could take a
closer look.

Tom

>From address@hidden Thu Jul  6 13:57:25 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000706: McIDAS RTGRIDS MRF/AVN data

Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Mark is checking out the latest addendii and should respond
to you further. I will look in next week and see what is
happening.

I could probably test my scripts on the correct data stream
by pointing at your server. They used to work, but the world
keeps changing.

I think I have almost all commands upgraded. There are still
a few IGG MAKE 's, and IGU DEL then IGU MAK. I don't see
that these are being sunset soon. Should I leave them or
change them too?

Bill