20000607: information for using UW datastream archive images (cont.)

>From: James F Garten <address@hidden>

Jim,

>Thanks for the information in your last email -- it has allowed me
>to load in the visible images I had ftp'd from the archive.

Super!

>However,

Why oh why didn't the email end above :-)

>I can see I'll really need to spend some time learning how to use
>mcidas to get the plots I really want, which won't be very
>numerous.

If the issue is how to load images on a particular location, the job
is very easy.  IMGDISP supports image location loading through three
different keywords:

STA=      provide the ID for a station; example: STA=KDEN
LATLON=   provide the LAT LON for a station to load on: LATLON=40 105
LINELE=   load the image so that the LINe and ELEment of the image are
          in a particular location in the display frame.  The default is
          the upper left, but this is easily changed to the center
          by use of the PLACE= keyword.  Example:

          LINELE= 256 256 PLACE=C

So, loading the latest image from the IMAGES/GE-VIS data set might look like:

IMGDISP IMAGES/GE-VIS STA=KARB EU=IMAGE SF=YES REFRESH='EG;MAP H'

This will load the image so that KARB (Ann Arbor, MI) is at the center of
the display frame.

>Can you put me in touch with any "experts" who may
>be willing to do a mini-collaboration? That is, talk with me about
>a few images I would like, etc. in exchange for being included
>as a third or fourth author on a paper or two?

Here are some contacts that might be interested:

                Name  Dr. Jennie Moody
         Institution  Virginia, University of
          Department  Department of Environmental Sciences
   Street Address #1  Clark Hall
City, State, Zip, Co  Charlottesville  VA 22903
              Phone:  804 924-0592  Fax: 804 982-2300
       Email Address  address@hidden

                Name  Robert R. Mullenax
         Institution  National Scientific Balloon Facility
          Department  Meteorology Dept.
   Street Address #1  P.O. Box 319
City, State, Zip, Co  Palestine  TX 75802-0319
              Phone:  903 729-0271 x. 209  Fax:
       Email Address  address@hidden

                Name  Gilbert Sebenste
         Institution  Northern Illinois University
          Department  Physical Plant
   Street Address #1  East Heating Plant
City, State, Zip, Co  DeKalb  IL 60115
              Phone:  815-753-5492  Fax:
       Email Address  address@hidden

There are more if you need them.  Jennie may not be able to collaborate
since she will be running an experiment somewhere in Michigan this summer,
but a couple of her graduate students might be available.

Robert and Gilbert could get you going pretty easily depending on exactly
what you are looking for.  By the way, just what _are_ you looking for
in a collaborator?

>What we are really looking for is what the visible (and perhaps
>infrared as well) looked like when our satellite instrument
>passed over particualr locations on particular days. It isn't
>really to "do science", but more along the lines of a "dog and pony
>show" (albeit a useful one).

That is pretty easy for any McIDAS user.  What you might be looking for,
however, is someone that has access to polar orbiter data so that the
instrument passes are more closely tied to the satellite image times.

>Please let me know if you know of anyone who may be interested
>in such a proposition.....

If the contacts above don't pan out, let me know and I will dig up some
other names.

>Jim Garten
>address@hidden

Tom Yoksas