20000427: ldm/mcidas at WMU

Hi Tom,

The workstation that has more disk space is s418.
I would like that machine to be the host in the lab, and the other ones
connect to s418 and get the incoming data.

The most important data for me to have is the GOES satellite data.  But I want
to have it in the original (SSEC) digital form so I can use for research too.

The surface and upper air charts are important to have for the classroom
forecast, but I don't have WXP anylonger so I borrow them from the University
of Illinois and from BlueSkies.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Elen

>From address@hidden Thu Apr 27 13:52:30 2000
>Subject: 20000427: ldm/mcidas at WMU (cont.)

Elen,

>The workstation that has more disk space is s418.

OK.  s418.what?  I tried pinging:

s418.wmich.edu
s418.cc.wmich.edu

and got the indication that the host name can not be found.  I need the
full machine name in order to get going.  While at it, please tell me
the IP number so I can check out forward and reverse name lookups
which are needed for the LDM.

>I would like that machine to be the host in the lab, and the other ones
>connect to s418 and get the incoming data.

OK.  This means that the other machines should NFS mount s418's file systems
where McIDAS is installed and where data is being ingested and decoded.

>The most important data for me to have is the GOES satellite data.  But I want
>to have it in the original (SSEC) digital form so I can use for research too.

The imagery in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream will be decoded into McIDAS
AREA files, so you will have the form you need.

>The surface and upper air charts are important to have for the classroom
>forecast, but I don't have WXP anylonger so I borrow them from the University
>of Illinois and from BlueSkies.

I am sure that you realize that McIDAS can do those as well.  All it needs
is the decoded data.  This is the purpose of McIDAS-XCD which is bundled
in the Unidata distribution of McIDAS-X.

>Please let me know if you need any additional information.

To start with, I just need the full name and IP number of the machine on
which the code is to be installed.

>From address@hidden Thu Apr 27 14:00:05 2000
>Subject: 20000427: ldm/mcidas at WMU (cont.)

Elen, et. al.,

>>The workstation that has more disk space is s418.
>
>OK.  s418.what?  I tried pinging:
>
>s418.wmich.edu
>s418.cc.wmich.edu

Never mind.  I just figured out that the machine is s418.lab2.cc.umich.edu.

Tom