20000425: functionality lost in 7.6 ADDE commands

>From: Bill Fingerhut <address@hidden>

Bill,

>The 'old' McIDAS-X command UCC has several very useful abilities
>that I do not see in the newer ADDE commands. I was wondering
>if I have not found them, or if they are to be added in the
>future, or something else?

You have not missed anything.  The lack of the ability to do simple
things like plot/contour TADV, ABV, THA, THAE, etc in the 7.6 set of
ADDE commands is the primary reason that I keep including MDX macro
commands in Unidata McIDAS-X.  I have been pushing SSEC to "finish"
ADDE by upgrading new commands to at least match the capabilities of
the old.  We will see if the next version, 7.7 which I am due to get in
May, will have MATH capabilities built into SFCPLOT, SFCCON, RAOBPLOT,
RAOBCON, etc.

>In particular, UCC recognized the parameters VOR and TADV. Can
>one easily contour these quantities with say PTCON?

Not in Version 7.6x.  This is supposed to be there in 7.7, but I
will wait to see if it actually makes it.

Tom