20000424: McIDAS X and XCD addenda: fixes...problems

>From: address@hidden

Bill,

>We have been experiencing very flakey data reception and storage with
>the gridded data...ETA, MDR etc.  I had searched the support archives
>for hints, found nothing, and let it go, time being in short supply.
>So it was with great relish that your recent message about fixes was
>received.  Alas, I have something screwed up...Here's the story.

Well, the biggest problem cropped up on April 2, 2000.  If your problems
predate this, then something else may be going on.

>On Thursday, April 20, went to unix/7.6/bugfixes and ftp'd mcupdate.tar.Z.
>Although I'm kind of vague on any sort of precedence or the amount of
>extra work involved in a complete re-install, I finally decided, 'Oh what
>the hell, it can't be worse than it is' and just went to #6 on your
>list of update-fixes (http:.....mcx addenda) and did a "make all"
>and went home.  Came in Monday, to find a failed make:
>
>compile SDIUtil.c:              done
>./mcar libsdi.a crc16.o GVAR.o POES.o SDIUtil.o
>update  libsdi.a:               done
>./mccomp -O -s -vendor -fp -o macro3 macro3.o -L. -lmcidas
>f77 -s -O -o macro3 macro3.o -L. -lmcidas -lm
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .main
>ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information.
>link    macro3:                 FAILED

This looks like a link problem.  The .main entry point is a system one.

>Just for grins, I decided maybe it would be better to go through the
>fixes one by one, including the individual unpacking commands as given
>in the addendum.  #1 went without a hitch.

OK.

>#2 has problems, and that's where I am now.  First of all, in typing
>the addendum, you have inserted 'mcunpack.tar.Z' where I believe you
>mean 'mcupdate.tar.Z'.  Found this out when I attempted window-to-window
>cut and paste from your document to my command line.

My fault!  This is what happens when copying a previous addendum and using
it as the template for a new one.  I just went through my addendum web
pages and changed mcunpack.tar.Z to mcupdate.tar.Z.  Thanks for pointing
this out.

>Correcting the
>error and humanually zcat | tarring the files to the correct directories,
>and then:
>make mdfix.k mdfix.hlp
>
>leaves this in the makelog after a failure./mccomp -O -s -vendor -o mdfix.k ma
> in.o mdfix.o -L. -lmcidas
>f77 -s -O -o mdfix.k main.o mdfix.o -L. -lmcidas -lm
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .__main
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .__eprintf
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .s_copy
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .s_cmp
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .s_cat
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .i_len
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .f_inqu
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .f_open
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .s_rsfe
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .do_fio
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .e_rsfe
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .i_indx
>ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .f_clos
>ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information.
>link    mdfix.k:                FAILED

Again, this looks like a link problem on your system.  The entry points
listed as missing above are system one.  Is it possible that you had
modified the McIDAS makefile previously to add an additional library
that must be searched on your system?  The Addenda contained a new copy
of makefile, so any change that you would have made to your makefile
would have been wiped out.

>One thing to check with us is whether or not we have functioning
>compilers (we do, as far as I can tell), and operating system
>AIX 4.2..ooops.  I'll betcha that's it.

I seem to remember you telling me that you had to build a separate package
and then link against it to get the McIDAS stuff to link.  This was
most likely done in makefile, and makefile just got overwritten.  I'll
bet that as soon as you put the mods back in makefile, things will link.

>Well, over to you, any suggestions on what may be screwed up on this end?

See above.

Tom