[LDM #KLK-719387]: noaaportIngestor question

Gregg,

> SPC is switching from a contractor provided NOAAPORT ingest software
> solution (which inserted data into LDM) to the Unidata noaaportIngestor
> software solution and using LDM 6.13.6 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
>
> Also, SPC has tight IT security, we are using rsyslogd, and firewalls on
> the server.  For real specifics I'll need to have the SA comment on this
> if needed.
>
> My question is, when ingesting the data from the SBN it appears the
> logging of information is to the various logs we have configured,
> similar to what is described/defined at:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/noaaport/current/

Oops! The logging subsystem within the LDM was improved beginning with
version 6.13 and it looks like I forgot to modify the NOAAPort section of
the documentation to reflect that. My bad.

The new logging system is better than the old one for the reasons
described in the file CHANGE_LOG, which is part of the distribution and
viewable at <https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/CHANGE_LOG>
(see version 6.13.0). Basically, the logging system was improved because

    1) It was the major impediment to correctly using the LDM (different
       logging daemons, different configuration-file formats, different
       security considerations, etc.);
    2) It was the major impediment to putting the LDM in a Docker
       container;
    3) Only 7 "local" syslog(8) facilities are guaranteed and NOAAPort
       ingestion could use more; and
    4) Some system logging daemons would drop LDM log messages depending
       on how heavily they were loaded.

To use the new logging, do the following:

    1) Edit your LDM configuration-file. Replace the option "-u <number>"
       in each noaaportIngester(1) EXEC entry with the option
       "-l <pathname>", where <pathname> is the pathname of the log file
       for that noaaportIngester(1) invocation. For example, if the
       configuration-file for your system logging daemon contains the
       entry
            local3.debug                         /data/tmp/nwstg.log
       then change the corresponding noaaportIngester(1) EXEC entry from
           EXEC "noaaportIngester -m 224.0.1.1 -n -u 3"
           EXEC "noaaportIngester -m 224.0.1.1 -n -l /data/tmp/nwstg.log"

    2) Ensure that the noaaportIngester(1) log files are owned by the
       LDM user. For example
           sudo chown ldm /data/tmp/*.log

    3) Restart your LDM:
           ldmadmin restart

After that, the log files should stay owned by the LDM user and be
rotated as usual.

> for example,
>
> local3.debug    /data/tmp/nwstg.log
>
> However, these log files are owned by root and not LDM.  Is there a way
> to have these log files owned by LDM and not by root?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: KLK-719387
Department: Support LDM