[LDM #MSE-433853]: Hourly Statistics of LDM feed

Hi Carol,

re:
> I was thinking more about the
> herbie-amrc.ssec.wisc.edu_v_herbie-amrc.ssec.wisc.edu bar in the plot.
>
> http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?EXP+herbie-amrc.ssec.wisc.edu
>
> Are these simply products that are created on herbie and inserted into
> herbie's queue?

Probably.

re:
> But then this doesn't make sense because Tom explained
> that this graph is only for data is being received, not sent.

If you think about the stats from a data flowing into the local queue
perspective (i.e., being received), products inserted into the local
LDM queue are received by the LDM. This interpretation is supported
by the fact that actions in pattern-action files will be run for
products inserted into the local LDM queue in the same way that
products being received from one or more upstream LDMs are.  The fact
that products are sent somewhere afterward being inserted into the local
LDM queue is no different than the products that are received from
an upstream LDM and then relayed to one or more downstreams.

re:
> Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by saying "sent".

'rtstats' does not count the bytes that are sent to downstreams.
Instead, it counts the bytes that get inserted into the local LDM
queue.

re:
> It's also odd that the graph is showing a spike of 8.5 MB at about 00
> UTC. The data that is created on herbie is sent every hour and the
> amount of data is about 35 KBs.

Again, this could have been an aberration. As an example of things
that don't make sense (at first glance, at least), we see unexpectedly
small volumes being reported when there are more than one LDM's
rtstats reporting under the same name.  Our initial guess was that
there would be an over-reporting of volumes, not an under-reporting.
We never thought that this was important enough to rip the code apart
to understand exactly what is going on.

re:
> Sorry for all the questions!

No worries!