[LDM #AKV-104910]: odd behaviour

Hi Karen,

I haven't heard of this before.

Are you collecting LDM metrics periodically via the command "ldmadmin
addmetrics" and crontab(1)? It would be good to see the time-series plots.

Does your LDM report statistics back to us via rtstats(1)? If so, what's its
hostname?

Does your LDM have a second REQUEST entry for the "NEXRAD2L2-BZIP2/KM" data?

> I've been having some odd issues that I was thinking were network related,
> but the more I look into them the more I wonder.
>
> Basically, I'm wondering if anyone else has seen something like this, or if
> you have any idea what could be causing this to happen.
>
> I've seen it happen on RedHat 5, RedHat 6 machines, and I've had it happen
> using ldm version from ldm6.6.5 (one of my long standing servers) all the
> way up to ldm 6.12.6.  I could try it on a newer ldm version, but I'm not
> sure it would make any difference.
>
> The problem is with latencies in incoming data.  At times I will see a
> particular connection become very slow, and then it will clear itself.  Or
> sometimes restarting LDM will clear a latency problem.
>
> For instance, I have a connection to IRADS for NEXRAD2 data.  I have split
> up my requests alphabetically to help to reduce latencies.  However, at
> times I will get a particular request that falls behind such as last night
> my request for "NEXRAD2L2-BZIP2/KM" seemd to slow down and then for a while
> I did not get any data for those letters. Specifically it slowed down
> 0700Z and didn't return to normal until 1000Z
>
> During that time the 20+ other requests I have to the same IRADS server
> were fine, with no latencies.
>
> For another example, I have a server here at NSSL that generates data and
> send it to a server at OU. We had puzzled over the high latencies with
> this particular data for quite a while. I had restarted the OU server
> multiple times, I split the requests up into multiple requests to try and
> resolve the problem, but nothing I did seemed to have any effect. Until I
> had some maintenance to do on the NSSL server. I made some modifications
> to it's pqact (which should not have affected the allows it had at all),
> and I restarted the LDM. Immediately the latencies went away and since
> then it's been fine.
>
> I've seen a lot of similar instances of individual specific connections
> having latencies, and sometimes when going through logs I can see a lost
> connection followed by a reconnect that resolves the issues.
>
> At any rate, if you have any ideas I would appreciate hearing them.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: AKV-104910
Department: Support LDM