[LDM #SFT-487549]: LDM on Amazon Cloud

Hi Bongchul,

re:
> That is a good idea, but could you please provide some directions how
> to configure LDM in UIowa as upstream and allow it to feed data to LDM
> in Amazon clouds?

In addition to what Steve sent a few minutes ago, I would recommend doing
the following:

1) as user 'ldm' on the UIowa machine that you want to configure to ALLOW
   feed REQUEST(s) from your AWS instance

cd ~ldm
-- do a trailing 'less' or 'tail -f' on the LDM log file

   The reason for this is that you will want to see the machine name
   and/or IP address of your AWS instance when you run 'notifyme'
   on it (next item).

2) as 'ldm' in the AWS instance that you have setup, run:

notifyme -vl- -f ANY -h <name of your UIowa host that is running the LDM you
are monitoring>

3) if there are no firewall blocks for the AWS instance in UIowa, you should
   see the failed attempt by 'notifyme' run in AWS to connect to the
   UIowa LDM

   The log message will contain the name or IP address of the AWS machine
   whose LDM is running 'notifyme'.

4) grab the name/IP address of the AWS instance, and add an ALLOW line in
   the LDM configuration file (~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf) on the UIowa machine

   The ALLOW line will look something like:

ALLOW   ANY     ^ec2-52-73-114-131\.compute-1\.amazonaws\.com\.?$

5) after adding the ALLOW line, restart the UIowa LDM so that the editing
   change in its LDM configuration file becomes active

6) either rerun 'notifyme' on the AWS LDM, or, if you left it running
   watch its output to see if it connects to the UIowa LDM

   At the same time (in another window, of course), keep watching the
   LDM log file output to see if/when the 'notifyme' connection is
   allowed.  If it continues to be denied, then there is likely a
   topo in your LDM configuration file ALLOW line.

Ticket ID: SFT-487549
Department: Support LDM