[LDM #NDJ-862794]: Problems accessing data from Southern Region HQ LDM

Justin,

> I think that would be a tall order from the perspective our our security
> group.

Sigh. It was worth a try.

> When actual data is being sent from an upstream LDM to a downstream LDM (So
> in our case, from Southern Region to our system at NCEP) what port does
> that data travel? 388?

A downstream LDM connects to an upstream LDM server using port 388 of the
server's host and an ephemeral port on the downstream host. When data-
products flow on this connection, the same port numbers are used (388 on
the upstream and the ephemeral port on the downstream).

> Would it be helpful to have the upstream LDM try
> telnet over that port to see if it is open?

I'm afraid that having an upstream site telnet(1) to a downstream site
wouldn't help us diagnose the problem for the reasons given.

> Thanks,
> Justin

Regards,
Steve Emmerson