[LDM #PAK-897870]: LDM 6.11.6 Install: /etc/syslog.conf

Alan,

> Here is the excerpt from the configure.log:
>
> checking for sig_atomic_t in signal.h... defined
> checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
> checking for struct stat.st_blksize... yes
> checking system logging daemon PID file... /var/run/syslogd.pid
> checking networking references...
> checking for system logging daemon... found
> checking for /etc/rsyslog.conf... no
> checking for /etc/syslog.conf... no
> configure: error: system logging configuration-file not found or not
> readable

Yup. The configure(1) script looks for "/etc/syslog.conf" and
"/etc/rsyslog.conf". Yours is the first system I've heard of that uses
"/etc/syslogs.conf". I can't help but wonder if that's a mistake. What is the
operating-system? What is the output of the command "ps -ef | grep syslog"?

If your system administrator executes the command "cd /etc && ln -s
syslogs.conf syslog.conf" as root, then the configure(1) script will work.

Alternatively, you could modify the configure(1) script so that it looks for
"/etc/syslogs.conf" rather than "/etc/syslog.conf".

> I have never had to have root to build LDM, but I do have to have the admin
> run the 'make root-actions' after the build is complete.  The syslog info
> has already been set up from previous installations.
>
> -Alan.
>
> --
>
> Alan D. Hall
> IT Project Manager
> Remote Sensing and Applications Division (RSAD)
> National Climatic Data Center
> 151 Patton Ave.
> Asheville, NC 28801-5001
> address@hidden