[LDM #OKM-429702]: Setting up an LDM distributor

Leo,

It is possible to build a non-standard LDM that doesn't use port 388 (via the
"--use-port=<n>" option of the configure(1) script). It is not recommended,
however, because 1) the so-built LDM will not be able to request data from any
standard LDM-s without modifications to its REQUEST entries; 2) other, standard
LDM-s will not be able to request data from the non-standard LDM without
modifications to their REQUEST entries; and 3) to the best of our knowledge,
the LDM has never been hacked in order to gain access to the host system
(indeed, I would argue that that is impossible).

We've also noticed that sites that worry about port 388 usually have port 80
wide open (for HTTP traffic), which is a greater security risk by many orders
of magnitude.

> Steve,
>
> I forgot one question.  Is it mandatory to use Port 388 when talking between
> LDMs?
>
> Regards,
>
> //SIGNED//
> Leo R. Rivard, Contractor, AFWA/SEMS