[LDM #TXB-774930]: LDM Fortify Security Scan

Leo,

[I merged your latest email with your previous thread to keep things in one
place. Hope you don't mind.]

> Full Name: Leo Rivard
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System:
> Hardware:
> Description of problem:
>
> We are creating a sustainment plan for our NEXRAD system and I have
> been asked to follow up on a few questions.  I do understand that
> Unidata primarily works with institutions of learning.  As a contractor
> representing a government agency, I am instructed to ask the following
> so we can plan for and fund support of our system.

No worries. Dealing with the military is always a hoot because our cultures are
so different. :-)

> First, is there a published schedule for LDM releases?  I have noticed
> that a new release comes out about every two months, but was asked to
> see if there is a more formal schedule.

Regrettably no. In an ideal world there would be a team of developers working
on the code with a roadmap, milestones, burn-down charts, etc. In reality, less
than one person works on the LDM (me) and much of my time is taken-up by other
(often unpredictable) matters. I have moved the LDM codebase to GitHub
<https://github.com/Unidata/LDM>, which has support some of these things --
though I've not made as much use of them as I (perhaps) should.

This could change if there was more funding (hint, hint :-).

> Second, I was asked to find out if there is a way to be automatically
> notified when a new release is ready for download.  All I have found on
> the Unidata website so far is the un-moderated address@hidden
> mailing list.

Announcements of new LDM releases are posted to the ldm-users mailing-list, so
that's a good one to subscribe to. That list is also used by sites on our LDM
network (called the IDD) for general inquiries (e.g., "I haven't received any
GFS data. Is something wrong?"). In general, traffic is light (less than one
message per week) unless and until NOAA has a problem and data doesn't flow.
Then, there can be a half-dozen or so messages in the span of 15 minutes while
the problem is diagnosed.

> Third, are there any other forums or mailing lists what the Air Force
> Weather Agency should be monitoring as far as LDM is concerned (e.g.,
> address@hidden).

"nws-changes" is a good mailing list for receiving notifications about changes
to the stream of data put out by NOAA (e.g., changes in model type or
resolution, radar upgrades, etc.). It's not so good for notifications about a
problem with the flow of data. For that, I recommend "ldm-users" for an
indication or confirmation of a problem, the website
<http://www.nws.noaa.gov/noaaport/html/noaaport.shtml> for operational notices
about the NOAAPORT broadcast, and the website
<http://www.roc.noaa.gov/WSR88D/Level_II/Level2Info.aspx> for operational
status of the NEXRAD Level 2 radars (which are carried on the IDD)

Also, the WMO bulletin of type "NOUS" is for operational notices from NOAA.
Such bulletins are carried by NOAAPORT and can be extracted and processed by
appropriate entries in the pqact(1) configuration-file of the LDM package.

The Unidata Program Center's website
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/conduit/data_detail.html> has a good overview
of the data on our IDD with links to the originating agencies.

> Thanks!
>
> Leo

Anything new with the Fortify results?

Regards,