Re: [conduit] conduit gfs

On 3/27/2013 10:28 AM, Rebecca Cosgrove wrote:
Patrick,
It's not the lack of glue.  The helicity is not there.  It was removed during a change to the GFS in May 2012.  The full TIN is available at :http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/notification/tin12-22gfs_hybridaab.htm  but the part of interest to you is this wording:

1km helicity will be removed from the 0.5, 1 and 2.5 degree pressure GRIB files.  This field was added to these files by mistake during a previous implementation.

Rebecca,

Thank you for the reply! :-)

I must say, in the wording you quoted where it says adding the 1km helicity field was a mistake is somewhat confusing! ;-)

While it is my opinion that NOAAs budget being cut while we spend billions of dollars overseas is an onerous mistake. Adding the 1km helicity field is of great use to old foggies like me. :-)

Perhaps whoever made the mistake before, can do so again? 8-)

I can't replace the budget losses, but I can certainly provide whomever a virtual cookie!

cheers,

--patrick

--

Patrick L. Francis