[LDM #NXY-409312]: AFWA LDM Setup Questions

Hi Jedidiah,

re:
> We were in on a conference call earlier today, and they said this email
> was okay for any questions we may have with our LDM setup.

Yes, absolutely.

re:
> At this point,
> we have not yet installed LDM, but we do have a question.
>
> We're looking at setting the ldm home to something other than
> /usr/local/ldm. Are there any other concerns with changing this?

No, users can locate the HOME directory for the user running the
LDM where they want EXCEPT on an NFS-mounted file system for which
setuid programs are prohibited from running.  The lead LDM process
runs as 'root' for as long as it takes to get access port 388 at
which point it reverts to running as the user it is installed as
(which should never be 'root').  Since NFS-mounted file systems can, and
commonly are, configured to not allow 'setuid root' invocations, the
LDM will not run/run correctly.

re:
> Do we
> just need to set LDMHOME in our profile

I don't believe that it is absolutely needed anymore, but it certainly
not hurt.

re:
> and pass the scour.conf as a parameter to scour?

No, 'scour' expects that its configuration file will be
located in the $HOME/etc directory.

re:
> Any help would be appreciated.

Please let us know if the above was not clear enough, or if/when you have
additional questions.

By the way, since you are not a typical Unidata user site (educational
institution), you may not know that it is our policy to make all support
email exchanges public by HTMLizing them and then making them available
to web crawlers.  This allows one to do web searches to find answers
to previously asked and answered questions.  Email addresses and other
personal information are stripped from the exchanges before they are
HTMLized, so private information is not made available. Sites that absolutely
do not want their exchanges with Unidata Support to be made public
must inform us that the exchange should not be made public in _every_
email (it is impossible for us to remember user preferences given the
amount of support that we provide).  We strongly recommend that users
do NOT request that their exchanges remain private since it is likely
that the questions they ask and our answers to those questions would
benefit others.

Just wanted to make sure that you all understand how Unidata Support
is leveraged to lessen the support on our small technical staff...

Ticket ID: NXY-409312
Department: Support LDM