[LDM #CSZ-262645]: errant LDM REQUESTs on sirocco.srcc.lsu.edu

Hi David,

Sorry for the silence over the weekend...

I did a fair bit of looking around on sirocco yesterday and Saturday,
but I did not find anything startling.  I then tried a couple of tests
to see if something simple would stop sirocco from repeatedly REQUESTing
data from idd.unidata.ucar.edu:

- first, I stopped/restarted the LDM on sirocco

  Result:

  - existing connections from sirocco on the idd.unidata.ucar.edu cluster
    node did _not_ go away
  - upon restart, the repeated REQUESTs to the cluster picked-up
    where they left off

- next, I tried stopping/restarting the LDM on the idd.unidata.ucar.edu
  cluster node

  Result:

  - all connections were closed as expected
  - REQUESTs from sirocco were received as before meaning
    that new REQUESTs would be received every few seconds

Comment:

Interesting indeed: stopping/restarting the LDM on sirocco and/or
the idd.unidata.ucar.edu cluster node had no effect on the repeated
REQUESTing.

I left things as follows:

- block of sirocco's IP address is commented out in
  /etc/sysconfig/iptables on the idd.unidata.ucar.edu cluster node

- I commented out the REQUESTs to idd.unidata.ucar.edu
  on sirocco and restarted its LDM

I proposed a meeting for today in Unidata to discuss what is happening.
I would like to keep things as they are until we can form a working
hypothesis about what is happening.

Comment:

- it may well be the case that one of the tests that we would like
  to run is stopping and restarting the network on sirocco
  (via 'service restart network' as 'root' on sirocco).  Since we
  do not have 'root' privilege on sirocco, this will require you
  to effect the change

  NB: we have not decided on this test yet, so please do NOT restart
  the network yet!

I will update you later today on the results of our meeting...

Ticket ID: CSZ-262645
Department: Support LDM