[LDM #YNE-961543]: Configuring ldm for use in user-space

Gerry,

> Good to see everyone last week.

Good to see you too.

> I'm trying to config an ldm installation in user space (not as an LDM user,
> and not with root access).

Oh dear. The LDM wasn't designed for that.

> I'd like to have local ($LDMHOME/var/logs/)
> logging without having to resort to a root access call. Is this possible?

If the configuration-file for the system logging daemon can be modified
appropriately, then logging to the LDM log file will occur. The log files will
not be able to be rotated, however, because the hupsyslog(1) utility will not
be able to send a SIGHUP to the system logging daemon.

Also, the LDM server will not be able to use port 388 -- making it difficult
for downstream LDM-s to connect.

> Admittedly, I've never had to do this in the past... I've always had root
> access, but so far, I do not on the HPC install at OU.

Does the HPC system have a web server using port 80? Does it have an ssh(1)
daemon listening on port 22? Does it use FTP? SMTP? DNS?

Sorry. Security theater annoys me. :-)

> Thanks, Gerry

Good luck!

Regards,