[LDM #QHD-410218]: Redundancy Issues with products

Joel,

> Full Name: Joel Asunskis
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 6.8.1
> Operating System: RHEL 5.5
> Hardware:
> Description of problem:
>
> We have a primary LDM system that manages printing and some other scripted
> tasks.  We have a lot of redundancy from various internal partners, RFCs,
> WFOs, as well as access to multiple NOAAPORT.  Redundancy is desired.
> Problem we have is that printing and the other scripted tasks will fire
> multiple times after the initial product receipt.  (Maybe the files
> have a slight byte difference extra space?)  What i am looking for is a
> better way to manage this.
>
> Is there a way to do this through the PQACT file or am i stuck with post
> processing the files in a watch directory?  Do you have any experience
> with this or suggestions?

You might be receiving the same data-products multiple times. If a received
data-product is deleted from the product-queue in order to make room for more
products, then a duplicate data-product won't be rejected because the earlier
one won't be found in the product-queue. Because of this, there's a coupling
between the maximum acceptable latency parameter (typically one hour) and the
size of the queue: products arriving more than the maximum acceptable latency
after they were created will be silently ignored; products arriving within the
maximum acceptable latency window will be checked for prior reception by
looking in the product-queue.

Prior to LDM version 6.9, this relationship between the maximum acceptable
latency and the size of the queue had to be manually managed via copious use of
the pqmon(1) utility to get a handle on the minimum residence-time of products
in the queue. With LDM 6.9, you can configure the LDM system to automatically
increase the size of the queue if necessary, or to reduce the maximum
acceptable latency parameter, or to do nothing but notify you of a problem. For
more information, start at
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.9.7/basics/configuring.html#vet%20registry>.
 Pay particular attention to the "/reconciliation-mode" and
"/server/max-latency" parameters.

Contact me if you don't think this is the problem.

> Thanks....

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: QHD-410218