[LDM #KKO-947498]: missing feed

Hi Neal,

Tom Yoksas here...  I logged into your machine and started poking around
a few minutes ago.

re:
> We have noticed some of our images are not updating properly. After looking
> into the issue it seems like the data located in /data/ldm/gempak/surface
> stopped updating at around 3:15am yesterday morning. I've tried restarting
> ldm and rebooting the server but it doesn't seem to want to pick up anything
> new for that particular GEM file. Other feeds such as radar and satellite
> feeds are still updating. Is there a way to get that going again?

There are a couple of things that jump out at me:

1) your LDM logging is not working.

   I realize that Steve has already commented to you that this is an important
   thing to get working.

   In order for us to get this working, we will need the 'root' password.
   You can call me at (303) 487-8642 to tell me the password.  Please do NOT
   send the password in a response email!

2) I see that the log files for GEMPAK decoding processes are VERY large.  In
   particular, I see that the log file for METAR decoding is as large as
   it can possibly be:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm/data/gempak/logs

ls -alt dcmetr.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 ldm ldm 2147483647 2010-02-10 03:17 dcmetr.log

The fact that this file is 2GB is likely the cause of the decoder's
failure to decode more data.

I suggest that you implement a cron action that rotates the GEMPAK
log files.  Here is a crontab entry that will do this for you:

#
# rotate GEMPAK logs
0 18 * * * util/dcrotatelog.csh >/dev/null 2>&1

This will only work after you copy the dcrotatelog.csh script from
your GEMPAK installation to the LDM util directory:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm/util
cp ~gempak/NAWIPS/bin/dcrotatelog.csh .
chomd +x dcrotatelog.csh
-- edit util/dcrotatelog.csh and set the correct location of the Gemenviron file

I just added the crontab entry; copied dcrotatelog.csh to ~ldm/util; edited
~ldm/util/dcrotatelog.csh; and ran the script by hand to rotate your GEMPAK
log files.  After doing this I see that a newly decoded surface data file
has been created in the ~ldm/data/gempak/surface directory, so I now believe
that your "images" (I think you mean plots for the web) should start updating
again.

Let's get back to LDM logging.  Please give telephone me to give me the
'root' password this afternoon.  If you can not call today, please do so
as soon as is convenient.  FYI: you can leave a voicemail on my phone with
the information.

Ticket ID: KKO-947498
Department: Support LDM