[LDM #RLJ-543699]: LDM Hangs on Startup

Phil,

> Full Name: Philip Birnie
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 6.6.5
> Operating System: Linux RHEL5
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: Sorry to bother you guys -- I know you are busy.

No worries.  This is our job.

> I checked out the archives but was unable to find a suitable answer.
> Basically, our system was hacked a few days ago, so I am working on
> rebuilding our machine.   I successfully installed the LDM, but receive the
> error:
> [ldm@twister ~]$ ldmadmin start
> The product-queue is OK.
> /home/ldm/etc/pqact.conf is syntactically correct
> Starting the LDM server...
> Oct 8 02:31:29 UTC twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu : start_ldm: Server not started.
>
> whenever we start the server.
> I turned off our firewall (before I turned it off, I could get the LDM to
> start, but we obviously were not receiving data).  Here is an output of our
> ldmd.log:
>
> Oct 08 02:29:29 twister rpc.ldmd[3768] NOTE: Starting Up (version: 6.6.5;
> built: Oct  7 2008 14:19:00)
> Oct 08 02:29:29 twister rpc.ldmd[3768] NOTE: Using local address 0.0.0.0:388
> *** Something about this doesn't seem correct ***
> Oct 08 02:29:29 twister rpc.ldmd[3768] NOTE: Terminating process group

The log message about using local address "0.0.0.0:388" is OK.  It means
that the LDM server will listen on port 388 on all available interfaces.

The fact that the top-level LDM process terminated within one second of
starting indicates a severe problem.  I suggest running the LDM in
interactive mode to see what the problem might be.  Interactive mode is
obtained via the option "-l-".  For example

$HOME/bin/rpc.ldmd -vl- $HOME/etc/ldmd.conf

The process can be terminated via a control-C.  Let me know what you find.

> Thanks for your help!
>
> - Phil Birnie
> The Ohio State University.

Regards,