[LDM #FKG-151989]: Running LDM on Windows XP

Hi Noel,

I am one of the people working at Unidata that has had experience with
VMware Player running on Windows XP.  I have played around with the
Fedora 7, 8, OpenSUSE 10.1, Ubuntu 7.3, and FreeBSD virtual machines
running in VMware Player and have been successful in running McIDAS-X
and LDM.

In addition to my experiments, another user in the Unidata community
recently commented about running the LDM in a Linux virtual machine
running in VMware ESX on a Windows XP platform.  Here are his comments:

    "No problems with going virtual using Vmware's ESX version!  Just have
not tried it on their other products.  Vmware Server is FREE and I suggest
EVERYONE look into going Vmware virtual were applicable.  I am still scared
of XEN although a company called Virtual Iron has made a lot of headway from
what I hear.

Two main things I can think of to mention:

1) You might have to work a bit to get proper time.  But it is doable, you
will get many, many hits on keeping time and Vmware via Google.  (I am
running vmtools w/ time sync to host & ntp)

2)  I have seen cases where take snapshots of the VM cause problems.
Nothing consistent.

    Of course you can see many other gains with going virtual to include
ease of administration and overall operation cost do to consolidation
abilities.  If you go with one of Vmwares Enterprise Solutions (SAN
required) you really start to see the benefits of virtualization with
features such as Vmotion/SVmotion and DRS.   I could go on for days..."

In short, since the current LDM does not run natively under Windows,
we recommend that sites consider one of the two following approaches:

- run Linux on a machine dedicated to LDM-related activities

- run a Linux virtual machine in VMware on a Windows machine (XP or
  Vista).  Run the LDM in that virtual machine and write the products
  received to a Windows folder that has been configured to be sharable.

Ticket ID: FKG-151989
Department: Support LDM