[LDM #GRU-156569]: rsyslog rather than syslog

Hi Michael,

re:
> Description of problem: I don't know whether you are aware of this or not, but
> the latest fedora package, i.e., fc8 no longer  includes syslog or
> syslog.conf.
> Instead, rsyslog and rsyslog.conf replaces it.  Manual pages for rsyslog note
> the
> improvements in the newer utility but also warn users that rsyslog may not
> behave
> as syslog.

I ran into this right after my workstation was upgraded from Fedora Core 5 to
Fedora 8 on Monday, November 26.  I found that the change needed to support
Fedora
8 was small -- add a new section to the ~ldm/ldm-x.x.x/src/configure file.  The
needed change will be folded into a new LDM release.  We do not yet have an ETA
for the next LDM release.

Here is the change you need to make to ~ldm/ldm-6.6.5/src/configure:

    elif test -f /var/run/syslogd.pid; then
        cat >>confdefs.h <<\_ACEOF
#define SYSLOG_PIDFILE "/var/run/syslogd.pid"
_ACEOF

    # 20071126 - new section for rsyslogd
    elif test -f /var/run/rsyslogd.pid; then
        cat >>confdefs.h <<\_ACEOF
#define SYSLOG_PIDFILE "/var/run/rsyslogd.pid"
_ACEOF

> Apparently this affects the operation of the configuration file, producing an
> error requiring changes to the configuration file itself for correct
> compiling.

The error I saw was when the LDM is started:

[ldm@yakov ~]$ ldmadmin start
The product-queue is OK.
/local/ldm/etc/pqact.conf is syntactically correct
sh: /etc/killall: No such file or directory
hupsyslog: system("/etc/killall -HUP syslogd") returns 32512
(E.G. It didn't work. Check that this program is setuid)
Starting the LDM server...

Is this the same thing that you saw?  If yes, the change to configure that I
included
above will fix the problem.  Please remember that you will need to rebuild the
LDM
from scratch after making the change to 'configure':

<as ldm>
cd ~ldm/ldm-6.6.5/src
make distclean
-- edit configure and add the small change I indicated above
./configure
make
make all
sudo make install_setuids