[LDM #TLG-752147]: LDM error message: Too many open files

Dave,

> The dust is settling a little from a more intense than usual beginning of
> the semester. Here's the info you requested:
>
> ldm_virga% uname -a
> Darwin virga.sfsu.edu 8.10.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.0: Wed May 23
> 16:50:59 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.21.3~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc
>

> The make.log file for our LDM v.6.6.5 installation is attached.
>
> Thanks for taking a further look at this.

Yup, your operating-system is lying to you (well, to the LDM program).
The file /usr/include/sys/syslimits.h defines OPEN_MAX to be 10240.
According to the UNIX standard, if this macro is defined, then it's
the maximum number of open file descriptors that a program can have.
The system call "sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX)", however, returns 256 on
your system, which is probably the correct number.  The UNIX standard
says that this system call should only be used, however, if OPEN_MAX
is *not* defined.  Sigh.

I'll see about modifying the LDM program to accommodate this flaw in
Darwin.  In the meantime, keep using the "-close" option.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: TLG-752147
Department: Support LDM