[LDM #VVR-781619]: ldm failure

Hi Chris,

Regarding the LDM exiting frequently on your machine...

re:
>Also, here is my ldmd.conf, which I recently changed to accommodate the
>switch from papagayo to idd.unl.edu.  It is possible that the switch I
>made is responsible or related, because this all happened right around
>the same time.

We recommend that you revise your ldmd.conf actions to stop the
ping-ponging that is occurring for feeds requested redundantly from
idd.unidata.ucar.edu and idd.unl.edu, and to consolidate your requests
into fewer processes.

The following modification will force the delivery from each upstream
feed site into PRIMARY mode and cut the number of upstream requests
from 11 to 7:

change:

request HDS ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request HDS ".*" idd.unl.edu
request IDS|DDPLUS ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request IDS|DDPLUS ".*" idd.unl.edu
request FNEXRAD ".*" idd.unl.edu
request FNEXRAD ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request NNEXRAD ".*" idd.unl.edu
request NNEXRAD ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request UNIWISC ".*" idd.unl.edu
request UNIWISC ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request NGRID ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

to:

# FNEXRAD    - NEXRAD Level III composite images
# IDS|DDPLUS - NOAAPORT global observational data
# UNIWISC    - Unidata-Wisconsin GOES-East/West image sectors
request FNEXRAD|IDS|DDPLUS|UNIWISC ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request FNEXRAD|IDS|DDPLUS|UNIWISC "(.*)" idd.unl.edu

# HDS        - NOAAPORT model output
request HDS ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request HDS "(.*)" idd.unl.edu

# NNEXRAD    - NOAAPORT NEXRAD Level III products
request NNEXRAD ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request NNEXRAD "(.*)" idd.unl.edu

# NGRID      - NOAAPORT model output
request NGRID ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

You should also consider upgrading to the latest LDM release, LDM-6.6.5.

Questions:

- has there been any operating system upgrades to your machine recently

- how long has your machine been up

If your machine has been up for a "long" time, and if there have been
OS upgrades during this time, you should consider rebooting.

Also, please note that your ldmd.log output indicates that you have
some sort of a problem with GEMPAK decoding that needs looking into:

>> Jul 14 22:10:03 thunder pqact[13017] NOTE: child 13386 exited with status 1
> (decoders/dcgrib2-ddata/gempak/logs/dcgrib2_RUC.log-eGEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWI
> PS/gempak/tableswww/YYYYMMDDHH_ruc@@@.gem)

>> Jul 14 22:11:45 thunder pqact[13017] NOTE: child 13409 exited with status 1
> (decoders/dcgrib2-ddata/gempak/logs/dcgrib2_RUC.log-eGEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWI
> PS/gempak/tableswww/YYYYMMDDHH_ruc@@@.gem)

>> Jul 14 22:12:37 thunder pqact[13017] NOTE: child 13415 exited with status 1
> (decoders/dcgrib2-ddata/gempak/logs/dcgrib2_RUC.log-eGEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWI
> PS/gempak/tableswww/YYYYMMDDHH_ruc@@@.gem)
>> Jul 14 22:12:37 thunder idd.unidata.ucar.edu[13028] ERROR: Terminating due t
> o LDM failure; Connection to upstream LDM closed

  etc.

Of course, after making changes to ldmd.conf, you will need to stop and
restart your LDM:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin restart

* Tom Yoksas                                            UCAR Unidata Program *
* (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                 P.O. Box 3000 *
* address@hidden                                  Boulder, CO 80307 *
* Unidata WWW Service                            http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/*

Ticket ID: VVR-781619
Department: Support LDM