[LDM #ZOC-298338]: Missing data problems

Hi Mark,

re:
> Hi Tom, sorry for the delay, it's been a crazy week for me, my wife is
> out of town for the week so I'm playing Mr. Mom.  Which hasn't left me a
> lot of time to think.

No worries.

> As for PQACT, the only entries in the .conf file are these:
>
> IDS|DDPLUS      ^SAUS(..) (....)
> FILE    data/ldm/surface/US/\2/\1
>
> # Watches, warnings, advisories
> # Append all special weather stmts to those of the same type and source.
> # This action will slowly consume disk space.
> IDS|DDPLUS      ^(WW....) (....)
> FILE    data/ldm/WWA/special/\1_\2
>
> # Keep only the most recent nowcast for each forcast office
> IDS|DDPLUS      /pNOW(...)
> FILE    -overwrite -close data/ldm/nowcast/\1
>
> # Keep only the most recent SIGMET.
> IDS|DDPLUS      ^WS
> FILE    -overwrite -close data/ldm/WWA/lastSIGMET

It seems to me that you can comment out these example pqact.conf actions
since you are not doing anything with the data anyway (or are you?).

Please remember that anytime you make _any_ modification to ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf
you should check to make sure that you have not introduced any errors by
running:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin pqactcheck

If this shows errors, reedit the file and correct the error(s).  As soon
as the return of 'ldmadmin pqactcheck' shows no errors, then run:

ldmadmin pqactHUP

> I would assume these aren't NEXRAD2 entries, but since I"m no weather
> expert, I could be wrong.

These actions are examples included with the LDM distribution.  They
help the new user understand the structure of pqact.conf entries.

> I have had one NEXRAD2 entry in there that
> I"ve used to log all the .bz2 files for short periods of time, but it's
> commented out all the time unless I need it.

Hmm... If you have no uncommented actions in pqact.conf, you will get warning
messages in the LDM log file, ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.  What I would do is
comment out the execution of pqact in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf.  If you don't
have any active actions in pqact.conf, there is no reason to run pqact.

> AS far as I can tell, with logging the files, I'm not missing any of the
> .bz2 files that my servers are getting.  But that doesn't really explain
> why NCDC is missing them.

Again, my comment is that NCDC's processing of NEXRAD2 products might
need the split/multiple pqact processes.  Your relay machine should not
need anything since all you are doing is passing the data along.

> I did get some info from them stating that they are seeing dropped files
> from their backup feed in Boulder, CO, so I suspect the problem might
> not be us in particular.

I'll bet that their processing procedure is the more-or-less the same at
both locations.  If one system is not processing all of the data out of
their LDM queue before it is overwritten by newly received data, they
will be left with the impression that they are not receiving the data
when they are.

Question:

- why has the NCDC LDM administrator not contacted us to help troubleshoot
  their problem?

Ticket ID: ZOC-298338
Department: Support LDM