[LDM #NXJ-554265]: LDM setup questions

Hi Yoori,

re:
> First of all, I greatly appreciate for your help.

No worries.

> Still I have couple things to ask you.
>
> 1. For setting up pqact.conf:
> I followed the instruction and added some lines in etc/pqact.conf on the
> below:
>
> IDS|DDPLUS ^(..)(..).. .... (..)(..)
>    FILE data/IDS_DDPLUS/\1/\2/(\3:yyyy)(\3:mm)(\3:dd)T\4.txt
>
> Am I correct?

Yes _assuming_ that the whitespace between DDPLUS and ^(..) is a tab, and the
whitespace before FILE is a tab.

I did not see a request line in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf for the IDS|DDPLUS
datafeed.  Without the request, you won't get the data and the entry in
pqact.conf will never be executed.

> 2. For crontab:
> Did you already create one?

I did create one and verified that I could write in new entries.  I
then deleted the entry I wrote so the current crontab file is empty.

> I don't know why, but I still have the
> same problem. When I type 'crontab -e', then it shows the blank text
> file (vi) then if i added lines (which indicated on the website),
> still I can't save anything with it.

I don't understand why you are having problems; I had none.

Question:

- are you logged in as 'ldm' (if you login as 'root' and then 'su' to the
  user, make sure that you do a 'su - ldm' as this makes sure to read
  the definitions that are setup in ~ldm/.bash_profile

> 3. For "setup automatic start of the LDM at boot time":
> Could you please help me out for this?

OK.  I will try to do this early this afternoon.  I will send you an email
after it is done.

> 4. You state that "We can adjust your firewall setup as needed after LDM
> installation is finished". What do I have to do with this?

You don't have to do anything right now.  What I was getting at was that
access via SSH is now limited to machines in the unidata.ucar.edu domain
(128.117.140.x and 128.117.156.x) and to the domain your machine is on.
If you want to SSH to the machine from other domains, the firewall will
have to be modified to support the access.  Also, if there are other
ports that need to be open for other purposes, this will need to be setup.

> 5. Some general question:

> a. After I type "ldmadmin watch", then I see files are ingesting in my
>    machine. Where all the files are stored? Are they going to ldm directory?

The files will not be processed unless you have one or more actions in your
~ldm/etc/pqact.conf file.  I noted last night that I did not see an action
for the data you were requesting from mapserver.unidata.ucar.edu, so nothing
is being done with the data you are receiving (it simply is sent from the
upstream machine (mapserver.unidata.ucar.edu) and is received into the
LDM queue on your machine).

> b. I need to include one more request upstream data feeders in ldmd.conf
>    file. After that, from now on, whenever I want to ingest the data from
>    upstream, I just need to do 'ldmadmin stop or start' and then type
>    'ldmadmin watch'in general. Is it correct?

Your comment is almost correct.  After you modify entries in ldmd.conf, you
need to restart your LDM using:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop
ldmadmin start

-- or --
ldmadmin restart

This will cause your LDM to request data from the LDM(s) listed in the request
line(s) ** IF ** those upstream LDMs have ALLOW lines in their ldmd.conf file
that permits you to request the data.

Secondly, 'ldmadmin watch' just allows you to see that data is being received.
You do not have to run 'ldmadmin watch' to cause data to be requested from
the upstream feed host(s).

> Thanks a lot.

No worries.  I will logon to your machine early this afternoon and setup LDM
start on (re)boot.

Ticket ID: NXJ-554265
Department: Support LDM