[LDM #WYF-519931]: LDM - Future use of LDM for next generation GOES

Daniel,

> Thank you very much for your quick response.  I am also looking for data
> related to why LDM.  Was there technology comparisons done, LDM versus
> FTP for example.  I can't seem to find anything related explaining
> technology comparisons, code costs, maintained, etc.  Again, I am sure
> that I am just missing something as usually.  Thanks again for all you
> help.

I don't recall any formal comparisons
between FTP and the LDM because the LDM is designed for fast,
automatic delivery and processing of continuously-generated
data-products throughout a network of cooperating systems; whereas,
FTP is merely a file-exchange mechanism between two systems.  To
make a comparison meaningful, FTP would have to be considerably
enhanced in order to bring it up to the level of the LDM.

The National Weather Service does (or did) have a data-product
distribution system based on notifications and FTP and (I belive)
some sort of scripting language to tie it all together.  I think
it might have been called NWSnet or NOAAnet.  I note, however,
that the NWS, nevertheless, uses the LDM to operationally distribute
NEXRAD Level II radar data.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: WYF-519931