[LDM #WYF-519931]: LDM - Future use of LDM for next generation GOES

Daniel,

> Institution: xxxxx
> Package Version: Future...
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware Information: Unknown
> Inquiry: To Whom It May Concern,
>
> I have been looking for information related to how the LDM ingest engine
> works.  I am looking to host a Level 1 LDM server for distribution of
> information from my local SAN, not as a downstream server.  I have been
> unable to successfully find any information, most likely to my own failure.
> Can you please provide me documentation on how the LDM ingest engine works,
> how data is added and removed from the LDM server.  I am also looking for
> information, a white paper and schedule plan for implementing a larger number
> of feed type, or future technology changes associated with feed types.

Two utilities are commonly used to add data-products to the
LDM product-queue: pqinsert(1) and pqing(1).  Once the data-products
are in the product-queue, they are automatically available for
transmission to downstream LDM-s.  The pqinsert(1) utility adds
files to the product-queue.  The pqinq(1) utility is designed to
read from a serial port of some kind, identify data-products, and
add those data-products to the product-queue.  The pqing(1) utility
also serves as a template for developers interested in modifying
it for specific purposes.

Additional information can be found at
<http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm>.  Click on a version of
the LDM and then on the "LDM Basics" link.

As far as increasing the number of feedtypes goes, most sites that
have this need simply use the EXP (experimental) feedtype and do
all their data-product selection using regular expressions that
match on the product-identifier.

I am working on a replacement for the LDM that won't have any feedtype
limitation, but it won't be available until next year.

> Thank you for your support,

You're welcome.  Feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: WYF-519931
Department: Support LDM