20060210: Antarctic-IDD down on ice.ssec.wissc.edu

>From:  Matthew Lazzara <address@hidden>

Hi Matthew,

re:
>My LDM is down on ice.ssec.wisc.edu - likely stopping the Antarctic-
>IDD for the moment...
>
>In restarting it to fix a bug in my pqact.conf,

I just wanted to remind you that you do not have to stop and restart
the LDM to make pqact.conf actions active.  Instead, all you need
to do is:

- edit the pqact.conf file where the change/addition is needed/desired
- use 'ldmadmin pqactcheck' to check the syntax of the change(s)
  made.  If you are modifying ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf, then all you
  need do is:

  <as 'ldm'>
  ldmadmin pqactcheck

  If your pattern action file is named something other than
  pqact.conf, like pqact.conf_antarcticidd, then you need to
  tell ldmadmin that this is the file to check:

  <as 'ldm'>
  cd ~ldm
  ldmadmin pqactcheck -p etc/pqact.conf_antarcticidd

- if there are no errors detected by 'ldmadmin pqactcheck', you
  can use ldmadmin to send a HUP signal to all of the pqacts that
  are running:

  <as 'ldm'>
  ldmadmin pqactHUP

>I seem to have
>tripped into a problem with the product queue...the suggested help
>isn't working, but I'll try a few other tricks.

If the problem you are seeing is the write count is not zero, you
can set it to zero as follows:

<as 'ldm'>
pqcheck -F -q ~/data/ldm.pq

>I will attempt to not destroy my queue, but might have to.

Resetting the write counter to zero typically does the trick.
If, however, after resetting the write counter and restarting
you see no products being received ('ldmadmin watch'), and/or
if the load average on your machine rockets upward, you most
likely have a damaged queue, so you will have to delete and
remake the queue.

>More shortly...

>Date:    Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:48:51 CST
>From:    Matthew Lazzara <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: Antarctic-IDD down on ice.ssec.wissc.edu

>Things are back running again - my apologies for the short time
>down.  Fortunately, queuecheck seems to have smoothed things over
>(whew!).

>Products are catching up now.

Sounds good.