Re: 20060203: RSA Comm Test (Weather - JSC) LDM Troubleshooting (cont.)

Tom,

>Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:56:46 -0700
>From: Tom Yoksas <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: 20060203: RSA Comm Test (Weather - JSC) LDM Troubleshooting (cont.)

> OK.  Did anybody check to see if the LDM had been installed on a
> file system that was configured to _NOT_ allow execution of setuid
> programs?  This was the problem that CPTEC had.

I didn't raise that issue and I haven't head from Jackie or Brice
on it, yet.

If that were the case, however, then I believe that a notifyme(1) would
also fail because it will also try to connect using either port 388 or the
portmapper.

> Brian told me that 'notifyme's worked.  Is this possible if there
> is a reverse lookup problem?

I don't see how since both a downstream LDM and a notifyme(1) process
are vetted by the same upstream LDM server and the same ALLOW entries
-- unless the notifyme(1)s that they're talking about are default ones
(feedtype ANY) and the upstream LDM-s disallow requests for feedtype EXP
(which the downstream LDM-s request).  That hypothesis is inconsistent
with the LDM configuration-files that they sent, however.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson