20060203: RSA Comm Test (Weather - JSC) LDM Troubleshooting (cont.)

>From:  Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>

Steve,

re:
>The permissions are correct for the LDM server programs on both
>ftpsvr.er-rsaiia-unc.int and rsaintrf.midds.jsc.nasa.gov:
>
>    ftpsvr:
>       -rwsrwxr-x    1 root     root       188785 Oct 24 17:02 /usr/local/ldm/
> bin/rpc.ldmd
>
>    rsaintrf:
>       -rwsr-xr-x   1 root       users       368408 Dec 13 15:33 /home/ldm/bin
> /rpc.ldmd
>
>so that's not a problem.

OK.  Did anybody check to see if the LDM had been installed on a
file system that was configured to _NOT_ allow execution of setuid
programs?  This was the problem that CPTEC had.

>Host rsaintrf.midds.jsc.nasa.gov is, apparently, also known as
>rsaserv.midds.jsc.nasa.gov, so it was possible that reverse lookups
>on ftpsvr were getting that name, which didn't have an ALLOW entry.  I
>had Jackie add one.

Brian told me that 'notifyme's worked.  Is this possible if there
is a reverse lookup problem?

>I'm having a hard time envisioning a situation where notifyme(1) would
>work but an LDM REQUEST entry wouldn't -- unless some wierd IP-packet
>filtering is occurring.

I will talk to you about this when I get in...

Tom