20051208: mysterious LDM death on 20051207 at ~5Z

>From: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: 20051208: LDM death on multiple platforms/multiple versions on 2005120

Pete, Mark, and David,

Steve Emmerson (our LDM developer) just sent the following regarding
the mysterious LDM failure yesterday:

  From address@hidden  Thu Dec  8 11: 44:34 2005

  Amazing!

  The product-queue module contains a bad assert() that's activated
  if the first four bytes of the MD5 checksum of a data-product (the
  data-product's signature) are all zeros.  In order for this to occur,
  the LDM package must also have been compiled with assertions enabled
  (which is not the default).

  Apparently, this is the first such occurrence in eleven years.

  I've removed the offending assertion and will make a new release when I
  return.

  Regards,
  Steve Emmerson

Two things:

- a new version of the LDM will be cut when Steve returns

- if you build your LDM with assertions turned on, please turn them off
  and rebuild/install