Date:    Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:57:26 -0500
From:    Justin Cooke <address@hidden>To:      Steve Emmerson <steve@uni
          data.ucar.edu>
cc:      address@hidden, Paula Freeman <address@hidden>,
         Scott Jacobs <address@hidden>, Jeff Ator <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Broken pipe

Steve,

Steve Emmerson wrote:

>Justin,
>
>Does the decoder
>
>    bin/decod_dcrast
>
>close its standard input stream?  If so, what criteria does it use to
>make that decision?
>
>Does the same decoder terminate after completely reading a data-product
>on its standard input stream but before it reads an end-of-file on that
>stream?

I passed this along to Jeff and Scott who work with the decoders...here
is their response:

---
The GEMPAK-based decoders do not close the input data stream. They read
from standard input. After a timeout (no data has arrived in X amount of
time), the decoder does shut down. I don't know if the LDM is aware of
the shut down or if the pipe remains open from the LDM end.
---

Hopefully that answers your question,

Justin

------- End of Original Message