20051110: hupsyslog: couldn't open /var/run/syslogd.pid

>From: Mark Seefeldt <address@hidden>

Hi Mark,

>I have recently upgraded to LDM 6.4.3
>When starting up the LDM I receive the following error:
>   hupsyslog: couldn't open /var/run/syslogd.pid

This seems to indicate you are running on a Linux system.  Please
let me know if this is not the case.

>When searching the email archive I came across a similar problem and the
>solution was to remember to execute:
>   make install_setuids

This is the typical problem, yes.

>I did execute this make command, but not as root, as myself using sudo
>permissions.

Running the command with a sudo should be equivalent to being root
and running it:

sudo make install_setuids

>I would think with sudo it would behave as root, but I am
>not certain.

It should, yes.

>Is there anyway to verify if the necessary changes were done?

Yes.  Please do the following:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~/bin                 <- assumes that you made the recommended runtime link
ls -alt rpc.ldmd hupsyslog

The listing should show that both processes have setuid permission.
On my Linux system this looks like:

-rwsr-xr-x  1 root ustaff 646980 Oct 14 13:22 rpc.ldmd
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root ustaff  10524 Oct 14 13:22 hupsyslog

Note the 's' flag and the indicated owner.

If your 'hupsyslog' and 'rpc.ldmd' processes look like this, then
the problem is most likely that the syslogd PID is not there.  Check
this with:

ls -alt /var/run/syslogd.pid

If the file is not there, syslogd is not running.  Check this with:

ps -eaf | grep syslogd

If syslogd is not running, you can restart it (as 'root' and assuming
you are on a Linux machine) using:

<as 'root'>
/etc/init.d/syslogd start

>Thank You

Please let me know if the above solves your problem.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Fri Nov 11 12:02:07 2005

Tom,

re: your OS

>Yes, I am on a Linux system.  Sorry about forgetting this detail.

re: long listing for hupsyslog and rpc.ldmd

>My listing:
>[ldm@foehn bin]$ ls -lta rpc.ldmd hupsyslog
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 ldm met-apps 187145 Nov 10 14:19 rpc.ldmd
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 ldm met-apps   5579 Nov 10 14:19 hupsyslog

>I changed the owner to root using sudo chown.
>I changed the x to an s for the user using sudo chmod.

>I then had the following listing:
>[ldm@foehn bin]$ ls -lta rpc.ldmd hupsyslog
>-rwsr-xr-x  1 root met-apps 187145 Nov 10 14:19 rpc.ldmd
>-rwsr-xr-x  1 root met-apps   5579 Nov 10 14:19 hupsyslog

re: does the syslogd.pid file exist