Re: 20051108: pqact.conf filtering

Leon,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Leon Minton <address@hidden>
> Subject: pqact.conf filtering.

> Looking at the beginning of my pqact.conf file, you can see I have taken
> measure to cut down on some of the products from WFO (they send bunches
> of RRS stuff) and the DPA (non-text) radar products we now receive in
> order to feed the new Ridge Radar project (being handled by a separate
> computer and ldm daemon). The /home/ldm/data is an NFS mounted drive for
> storing the flat files and the /home/ldm/current is the local drive of
> the computer running the ldm daemon. I feel there have been times when
> we have missed some products and my question is, would I be better off
> not trying to filter out some of these products in the pqact lines and
> letting them simply store?

No.  If you don't want a product, then you're always better off (in the
sense of CPU load and bandwidth utilization) not receiving it.

You would also be much better off writing the data-products to a local
disk rather than an NSF-mounted one.  This minimizes the risk of the
pqact(1) process getting behind the addition of new products to the
product-queue.  Putting the pqact(1) process into verbose logging mode
(via "kill -USR2") will indicate how far behind it is (2 more "kill
-USR2" will return it to taciturn logging mode).

> I have the space, and in the case of the
> local drive, I discard the products I don't need anyway. I also vaguely
> remember something about storing to an NFS mount versus a local drive...

You might be thinking of our recommendation that data-products should
not be written to NFS-mounted disks.

> [ldm@boomer .Leon]$ cat /usr/local/ldm/etc/pqact.conf|more
> # Primary incoming data from NOAAPort Receive System
> # Text Only
> # Modernized PIL Regional Backup Data Storing Scheme
>
> WMO     ^....[0-9][0-9]
> (K|T|P|N)([^W]..|W[^O].|WO[^H]).*/p([^D]..|D[^P].|DP[^A])(.|..|...)$
>         FILE    -strip  -overwrite      /home/ldm/data/\2/\3\4
>
> # Text Only
>
> WMO     ^....[0-9][0-9]
>         FILE    -strip  -overwrite      /home/ldm/current/\2\3\4
>
> WMO     ^....[0-9][0-9] (K|T|P|N)(WOH).*/p(RRS)(FWR|TUA|ORN|ALR)$
>         FILE    -strip  -overwrite      /home/ldm/current/\2\3\4
>

> --
> Leon Minton, IT Analyst
> Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies
> Teamed with NWS-SRH-CWWD-DET (DOC/NOAA)

Regards,
Steve Emmerson