hupsyslog(1) using killall(1) under SUSE (was: LDM-6.4.1 instalation)

Donna,

>Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:32:40 -0600
>From: "Kliche, Donna V." <address@hidden>
>To: "Steve Emmerson" <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: LDM-6.4.1 instalation

> This is what I have:
[snip]

> Do any of the following files exist on your system:
>
>     /etc/syslog.pid
>     /var/run/syslog.pid
>     /var/run/syslogd.pid
>     /var/run/syslogd.pid
>
> If so, what's the output of the command "ls -l" on the file?
>
> ------ None of the files above exists under those directories!!!

That's interesting (and non-standard (sigh)).

> If not, then=20
>
>     1.  Are you running a syslog(8) daemon?  You can tell from the
>       command
>
>           ps -ef | grep syslog
>
> -----------The output of this command is:
>
> ldm@squall:/etc> ps -ef|grep syslog
> root      3692     1  0 Oct12 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/syslog-ng
[snip]

So, you're running the "syslog-ng" program rather than "syslog".
I guess that's a SUSE thing.

>     2.  If you are, then what's the pathname of the file that=20
>       contains the process-ID of the syslog(8) daemon?
>
> ---------------/sbin/syslog-ng

"/sbin/syslog-ng" is the name of the system-logging program rather
than the pathname of the file that contains the process-ID of the
system-logging daemon.  You need to determine how that daemon is started
(from some boot-time script in /etc, I'm guessing) and see if its
process-ID is saved in a file somewhere.

Also, the man(1) page  for syslog-ng might be useful.

Unfortunately, we don't have any experience with SUSE, so we don't know
where to look for this information.  Can we log onto your system as the
LDM user?

> In any case, what's the output of the command
>
>     uname -a
>
> ----------Linux squall 2.6.11.4-20a-smp #1 SMP Wed Mar 23 21:52:37 UTC =
> 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Regards,