Re: 20050909: LDM - pqexpire not working from config file

Janet,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Janet Scannell" <address@hidden>
> Subject: LDM - pqexpire not working from config file

> Institution: NCAR
> Package Version: 6.3.0
> Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4
> Hardware Information: p4 2.2 MHz 1 GB memory
> Inquiry:
> pqexpire doesn't appear to work correctly when run from the ldmd.conf
> file.  If I run the same command on the command line, it works fine.
> ldmd.conf file has:
>
> exec   "pqexpire -l logs/pqexpire.log -a 0.2 -f EXP -p '\.png'"
>
> The process shows in the process table, but nothing ever seems to be
> deleted from the product queue.  The products that match .png are
> generated every ten minutes.  This morning the product queue had over
> 100 products in it.  Four of them did not match .png.  I restarted the
> ldm with the exec line above and no products were deleted after 30
> minutes.  I stopped the ldm, commented out the exec line and restarted
> the ldm.  Then I ran the exact pqexpire command on the command line and
> it has been keeping 1 to 2 .png files in the product queue, which is
> expected behavior.
>
> Is there anything wrong with the pqexpire line in the conf file?

Starting with LDM 5.<<something>>, it's no longer necessary to run the
pqexpire(1) program from the LDM configuration-file.  Indeed, doing so
can cause problems.  The reason is that the product-queue module was
modified to automatically remove data-products, beginning with the
oldest, in order to make room for additional data-products.

In your case, the pqexpire(1) program was executed once (at LDM startup)
and then exited -- never to be executed again.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson