20050901: [SSEC-TC-req #10653] syslogd on amrc.ssec.wisc.edu

>From: Matthew Lazzara <address@hidden>

Matthew, Scott, et. al.,

re:
>Support at Unidata (Tom, Steve, et al).  Please read below what I did
>poorly, and how things still aren't right. As a note to you, have to
>run LDM version 6.3.0, since the my attempts to installed a newer
>version 6.4.1 failed (I'm sure due to the combination of SunOS,
>compiler, etc.).  Please let me know if you need to see any of my log
>files or if you have any questions.

Immediately I see a reference to 'killall' which I assume is a
reference to the LDM utility 'hupsyslog'.  There are a number of
issues here:

- killall should be run from hupsyslog _only_ on SGI systems; all
  others support direct use of 'kill' to send a signal to a process

- if your Solaris installation is trying to use 'killall' it means
  that you had some environment variables set that you shouldn't have
  before you ran the 'configure' script that creates the LDM make files.
  You should _not_ have the following environment variables defined
  before running 'configure':

  CC
  CFLAGS
  CPPFLAGS
  LDFLAGS
  LIBS

On SGI, 'killall' is used to send a signal to a process using its
name.  'hupsyslog' uses 'kill' to send a HUP signal to syslogd
so that syslogd will close the open file descriptor to the LDM log
file so that the log file can be 'rotated' (renamed and a new one
created in its place).

re:
  "If this is an LDM bug, it's a bad bug.  Because if 'killall' did work
   for you, it would have all but turned amrc off."

This is not an LDM bug, it is a user error the solution for which is
get one's environment setup correctly before attempting an LDM build.

So, what you need to do is the following:

<logon as 'ldm'>

ldmadmin stop             <- stop the LDM if it is running

-- examine your enviornment to see what environment variables you have
   defined:

env

-- unset all environment variables that would be used by 'configure'

cd ldm-6.3.0/src
make distclean
./configure
make
make install

su
make install_setuids
exit

That should be it.

If you need help figuring out what to undefine, please send me the
output of 'env'.