20050805: SUCCESS! RE: 20050803: LDM 6.4.1 compile problem on Solaris using gcc 3.4

>From: "Magee, David" <address@hidden>

Hi David,

re:
>./configure --disable-max-size --enable-logging=local3 >configure.log 2>&1
>
>I tried yet another combination of things and got it to compile!

I always like receiving success stories :-)

>I left the enable-logging off from the configure option, but kept the
>disable-max-size, and it compiled!

If I had been paying more attention in the recently held LDM training
workshops, I would probably have remembered that Steve (Steve Emmerson,
our LDM developer) commented that one can not build the LDM with large
queue support (> 2 GB (or was it > 4 GB on Solaris)) using gcc on
Solaris.  Your supplying of the --disable-max-size flag to configure turns
off creating large queue support.

Steve's comment is also contained in the Platform Requirements section
of the LDM Basics pages for LDM-6.4.1:

Unidata HomePage:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Unidata LDM HomePage
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm

    LDM-6.4.1
    http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.4.1/index.html

      LDM Basics

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.4.1/basics/index.html

      Platform Requirements

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.4.1/basics/platform.html

The comment about large queue support and gcc under Solaris is contained
in footnote 5 referenced from the platform table.

Sorry for not knowing this in the first place.

By the way, changing the logging facility should not have had any effect.

>Thanks!

No worries.

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas