20050805: LDM 6.4.1 compile problem on Solaris using gcc 3.4 (cont.)

>From: "Magee, David" <address@hidden>

Hi David,

>     Well, that went up in flames.  :)

Rats :-(

>During the configure:
>
>hecking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
>checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed

This may be telling us that adding the "-std=c89" flag to gcc compiles
is not needed.  I'm sorry I didn't catch this in log file you sent
in earlier.

>checking the C compiler... works
>configure: Checking how to maximize the (long, void*, off_t) programming
>environment
>checking if the system supports _XBS5_LPBIG_OFFBIG... yes
>configure: -U_MAPRGNS
>configure: cflags="-xarch=v9"
>configure: ldflags="-xarch=v9"
>configure: libs=""
>configure: ARFLAGS="-cru"
>checking the C compiler (again)... configure: error: gcc failed to compile
>test code
>See `config.log' for more details.
>bash-2.05$
>

>From the config.log
>
>configure:2216: -U_MAPRGNS
>configure:2218: cflags="-xarch=v9"
>configure:2220: ldflags="-xarch=v9"
>configure:2222: libs=""
>configure:2224: ARFLAGS="-cru"
>configure:2226: checking the C compiler (again)
>configure:2232: gcc -c -std=c89 -xarch=v9  conftest.c >&5
>gcc: language arch=v9 not recognized
>gcc: conftest.c: linker input file unused because linking not done
>configure:2238: $? = 0
>configure:2242: test -z
>                         || test ! -s conftest.err
>configure:2245: $? = 0
>configure:2248: test -s conftest.o
>configure:2251: $? = 1
>configure: failed program was:
>| int foo;
>configure:2260: error: gcc failed to compile test code
>See `config.log' for more details.
>
>## ---------------- ##
>## Cache variables. ##
>## ---------------- ##
>
>The arch=v9 not recognized is interesting - that's refering to Solaris,
>I think.

Yes, it a Solaris flag that indicates the desire to build 64-bit
executables.

>I tried to send an e-mail to ldm-users about this, and I don't think it went
>out.

I saw it, so it did go out.  Let me confer with others here at the UPC
to see if we can come up with something.  I will also forward your
original message to our LDM developer just in case he gets the opportunity
of reading his email while on travel.

>I just subscribed from address@hidden, but I didn't see my e-mail
>show up on the list.
>
>Any ideas on that one?

Another site subscribed to multiple Unidata email lists from a
gmail account also reported that he wasn't seeing any messages on
from the lists.  We reviewed our sendmail logs and verified that
mail was being forwarded/sent to his gmail account, so we concluded
that gmail was blocking the messages.

>Many thanks for your help!

I will get back to you after we confer on your problem.