Re: LDM 6.2.1 possible memory issue?

Hey Steven!

>Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:04:12 -0600
>From: "Steven Danz" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: LDM 6.2.1 possible memory issue?

> Anyone noticing memory issues with 6.2.1?

There shouldn't be any memory leaks with the LDM.  The last time I
checked, however, was with version 6.1.  The changes for the later
version shouldn't have cause any memory leaks, however.

I'll investigate.

> I'm running it on RedHat Enterprise 3, and at startup the rpc.ldmd and
> pqact processes show a ~7Meg RSS, but after running 4-5 days, they
> have grown to ~760Meg RSS each.  Running 6.0.14 on the same system
> doesn't show the same symptoms, the rpc.ldmd are from 1 to 26Meg RSS
> and the pqact is ~7Meg RSS.  They were both built debug if that has an
> impact.

Don't base your conclusions on the resident set size (RSS) because it's
not a good indicator of a memory leak.  The RSS is the amount of
physical memory that a process is currently using and can vary all over
the place depending on the operating system.

A better parameter is the virtual size (ps -o vsz ...) because this
gives the total amount of virtual memory used by a process.  After an
initial growing period, this parameter should be constant.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson