20050202: Help! LDM 6.2.0 bombs...please help!

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>I cannot get LDM 6.2.0 to work. It compiles fine. But when I do any
>command (ldmadmin stop/start/delqueue/mkqueue/ etc etc), it says:
>
>/home/ldm/etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf did not return a true value at
>/home/ldm/bin/ldmadmin line 56.
>
>Here's my ldmadmin-pl.conf file...
>
># The fully-qualified domain-name of the computer system.  If you have to set
># this manually, then do the following:
>#     1) Replace "your.hostname.here" in the following commented-out statement
>#        with the fully-qualified domain-name of the computer system;
>#     2) Uncomment-out the same line by removing the leading hash (#) characte
> r;
>#        and
>#     3) Comment-out the "chop" line by inserting a leading hash (#) character
> .
>#
>chop($hostname = `uname -n`);
>#$hostname = "weather3.admin.niu.edu";

This looks like you were trying to define $hostname to be
'weather3.admin.niu.edu' but forgot to comment out the line before it
and uncomment out itself.  The lines should read:

# chop($hostname = `uname -n`);
$hostname = "weather3.admin.niu.edu";

>#
># The operating system environment:
>#
>chop($os = `uname -s`);
>chop($release = `uname -r`);
>
># The LDM home directory:
>#
>$ldmhome = "/home/ldm/ldm-6.2.0";
>
># Requested size, in bytes, of the data portion of the LDM
># product-queue.  The actual size might be slightly greater than the
># requested size for performance reasons.  It is recommended that IDD
># sites keep at least one hour's worth of data in the queue.  This means
># that the queue size should depend upon how much data is requested.
># After the queue has stabilized, use the pqmon(1) utility to monitor
># the age of the oldest product in the queue and adjust this value, if
># necessary.  Understood suffixes include "K", "M", and "G" for "kilo",
># "mega", and "giga", respectively.  The default requested size is 400
># megabytes (i.e., "400M").
>
>$pq_size = "400M";

Do you want your queue size different from 400 MB?  If yes, you
musth change $pq_size here.

># Number of slots in the LDM product-queue.  This is the maximum number
># of data-products that the product-queue can contain.  Because it is
># recommended that IDD sites keep at least one hour's worth of data in
># the queue, this value should equal the maximum expected number of
># data-products per hour.  If the value is "default", then the number
># of slots will be computed using the size of the product-queue and a
># mean data-product size of 4096 bytes.  Use the pqmon(1) utility to
># monitor the number of data-products in the product-queue and adjust
># this value, if necessary.
>
>$pq_slots = "default";
>
># Size of the pqsurf(1) product-queue in bytes.  Do not use any
># suffixes.  You probably won't need to change this.
>
>$surf_size = "5000000";
>
># default number of logs to rotate with the newlog(1) command
>
>$numlogs = "3";
>
># file paths - everything here is based on the ldmhome variable by default.
>
>$bin_path = "$ldmhome/bin";
>$etc_path = "$ldmhome/etc";
>$log_path = "$ldmhome/logs";
>$data_path = "$ldmhome/data";
>$pq_path = "$data_path/ldm.pq";
>$surf_path = "$data_path/pqsurf.pq";
>
># ldmadmin file locations and names
>
>$pid_file = "$ldmhome/ldmd.pid";
>$lock_file = "$ldmhome/.ldmadmin.lck";
>$log_file = "$log_path/ldmd.log";
>$ldmd_conf = "$etc_path/ldmd.conf";
>$pqact_conf = "$etc_path/pqact.conf";
>$scour_file = "$etc_path/scour.conf";
>
># set this to 0 if you don't want the ldm log files rotated whenever you
># start or restart the ldm.
>
>$log_rotate = "0";

Also, since the strategy of the new distribution is to build with large
file support, you will need to delete and remake your queue _if_
you use the default build.  This is explained in the installation
instructions.

>And then my ldmadmin file shows this:
>
>if (! $ENV{'LDMHOME'}) {
>    $ENV{'LDMHOME'} = "$ENV{'HOME'}";
>}
>require "$ENV{'LDMHOME'}/etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf";
>#require "/home/ldm/etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf";

>I made a separate line (the last one) to see if that would fix it.

Please note that the last line is commented out.

>It
>didn't. My ldm installed in /home/ldm/ldm-6.2.0. I made sure that my
>.cshrc had it set right. It said that it pointed to /home/ldm/. After
>changing it to /home/ldm/ldm-6.2.0, and typed "rehash", it still wouldn't
>go!

I think that you should:

- check the output of a 'uname -n'.  If it returns a fully qualified
  hostname, you do not need to modify $hostname in ~ldm/etc/ldmadmin-pl.conf

- undo your mod to the 'require' line

>Help!

Please let me know if the above doesn't get you going.