20050106: LDM-hostname is not fully qualified

Edwin,

> >To: address@hidden
> From: "Edwin Pryor" <address@hidden>
> Subject: LDM question

> Based on previous contact with your group, I am installing the source
> code for LDM version 6.1.0 on a
> (NWS river forecast center) Linux AWIPS work station.  Downloading and
> compiling seemed to work fine but when I run any ldmadmin option I get
> the feedback that "rp1-rha: the LDM-hostname is not fully qualified"
> while the output of "uname -n" or "hostname -f" commands both return
> "rp1-rha".  Have you ever seen this before?

The above means that the $hostname variable in the ldmadmin(1) script is
set to the output of the command "uname -n" and that that command
doesn't emit a fully-qualified version of the hostname.  A
fully-qualified version of the hostname is needed for certain bookeeping
operations.

The solution is to modify the installed, ldmadmin(1) script so that the
$hostname variable is correctly set.  Search for the first occurance of
that variable and follow the instructions to set it manually.

More information on this installation detail can be found at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/ldm-6.1.0/basics/vet-ldmadmin.html

> thanks for your help.
>
> Ned Pryor,
> NWS hydrologist