20041212: ldm.pq file...

>From: Owen Hoyt <address@hidden>

Hi Owen,

>I am trying to install LDM onto a new sever.  I am not sure if I am
>generating the ldm.pq file correctly.  When I try and run LDM, I got an
>error saying "can not find ldm.pq."  So I used /bin/pqcreate and set a
>file size and then called the file ldm.pq.  Is this correct and if so,
>what would be a "correct" file size to specify.  If this is not correct,
>could you please instruct me on how to generate this file properly.

The best/easiest way to create an LDM queue is to use the 'ldmadmin'
utility.  The steps are:

- download and unpack the latest version of the LDM-6
- build and install the LDM:

cd ~ldm/ldm-6.1.0/src
./configure
make
make install
sudo make install_setuids

  Also, make sure that the modifications to system files has been
  completed by 'root'.  The files that will need attention are:

/etc/syslog.conf
/etc/rpc
/etc/services

  These should be setup before you try to start your LDM.

- configure the LDM queue size in 'ldmadmin'.  This is done by adjusting
  the $pq_size variable in the script.  The default size for the queue
  is 400 MB.  If you are getting a lot of data or using your LDM as
  a data relay, you may want to increase this size.  If neither of
  these conditions is true, you can probably run nicely with a 400
  MB queue

- finish the LDM installation:

cd ~ldm
ln -s ldm-6.1.0 runtime
ln -s runtime/bin bin
ln -s runtime/include include
ln -s runtime/lib lib
ln -s runtime/man man
ln -s runtime/src src

- make sure that the ~ldm/bin (and ~ldm/decoders and ~ldm/util) directory
  is in the PATH

- either create the ~ldm/data and ~ldm/logs directory or create links
  in the LDM HOME directory to file systems where you want these
  directories (and their subdirectories) to exist.  Make sure that
  the user running the LDM (e.g., 'ldm') has read/write/execute
  permission in the ~ldm/data and ~ldm/logs directories (or links)

- create the LDM queue:

ldmadmin mkqueue

- setup the 'exec' and 'request' lines in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf

- start the LDM

ldmadmin start

Common pitfalls:

- the system files were not setup by 'root'
- during the setup process, the ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log file gets created
  and is owned by 'root' so the LDM does not have write permission
  and can not log
- the ~ldm/data directory/link is not writable by 'ldm'

>Thanks,

No worries.  Please let us know if you continue to have problems.

>Owen Hoyt
>Jr. UNIX Systems Administrator
>Electronic Information Services
>Valparaiso University