20041203: LDM parsing data by state

>From: "Patrick L. Francis" <address@hidden>

Hi Patrick,

>I've been saving up a few problems/questions to ask all at once instead of
>writing several and bugging in multiple instances..

It may not seem obvious why, but it is better for us if you organize
your questions by package and send in separate inquiries for the various
packages.  This helps us farm out the questions to the appropriate people
and get faster responses.

>---------------
>problem 3 = question
>----------------
>Since weather.bgsu.edu is feeding off of unidata.bgsu.edu i would
>like to play a little bit... is it possible to have ldm parse/file the data
>by state?

You would need to write a program to do that.  The way the observational
data is organized is specified not by the LDM, but, rather, by
the WMO.  As such, it is not grouped by US state, but by regions.

>sort of an..... well iwin format? currently i have adapted
>the pqact to save the data in text format by type.. for example..

Right.  You can also use pqsurf to split apart bulletins and deal
with stations on and individual basis.  This does not, however, make
the job of organizing the obs by state much easier.

>current tornado warnings sorted in descending order:
>http://weather.bgsu.edu/data/gempak/nwx/watch_warn/torn_warn/?C=M&O=D
>
>however, the ultimate goal is to create an imap for the gpwarn graphic
>where the user could then select his/her state and have associated
>special wx statements/watches/warnings etc..etc...

Isolating the obs by state would be a nice feature, but it is not
something that the LDM can do given that there is no information
about what state contains which observations in the product headers
(or in the products for that matter).

You may want to touch base with Daryl Hertzman of Iowa State on
how to approach your goal.  Daryl is big on GIS systems, and has
done quite a bit of development in storing observational data in
a relational database.

>Thanks for taking the time to read the message and lend assistance :)

Sorry I didn't have a better answer for you...

>hoping for snow!

:-)