20041119: pqbinstats died

Arthur,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Arthur A. Person" <address@hidden>
> Subject: pqbinstats died

> One of our ldm's died yesterday due to pqbinstats core dumping on a signal
> 11.

If you can, would you please send me a dump of the stack trace of the
core file?

> This, of course, killed off our whole ldm which is rather
> unfortunate.  Any clues as to why the pqbinstats program would die

I have no idea.  Just out of curiosity, what version of the LDM are you
running?

> and/or
> what I can do to prevent this?  I saw a note in previous emails about
> wrapping child programs with a script that restarts them.  If this is the
> only fix, would I put this script in a separate file and then exec it from
> the ldmd.conf file with the pqbinstats command as the argument?  Perhaps
> you could give me an example ldmd.conf line that would implement this.

See

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/getfile?file=/content/support/help/MailArchives/ldm/msg03679.html

I would save the script as "util/exec-wrapper" relative to the LDM
user's home directory.  The util/ subdirectory should be in the PATH of
the LDM user.  Ensure that the script is executable.

Modify the LDM configuration file to use the script instead of the
pqbinstats(1) program.  Replace

    EXEC "pqbinstats"

with

    EXEC "exec-wrapper pqbinstats"

That's all.

>                                     Thanks.
>
>                                       Art.
>
> Arthur A. Person
> Research Assistant, System Administrator
> Penn State Department of Meteorology
> email:  address@hidden, phone:  814-863-1563

Regards,
Steve Emmerson