20041012: Directory structure for LDM data

>From: "Huffines, Gary" <address@hidden>

Hi Gary,

>We have set up the LDM software and received an upstream feed for data
>(thelma.ucar.edu).  I am in the process of building our pqact.conf file
>and wanted to know if there is a suggested structure to the data
>directory.  I planned to set up a surface, upper_air, nldn (once it is
>active), and other directories based on the data type.  Is there
>anything else I should consider to make this run smoothly?

How best to store data on your local disk will depend entirely on your
intended use of the data.  For instance, if you intend to use GEMPAK
as a display/analysis tool, you would be guided the pqact.conf actions
that are provided with the GEMPAK distribution.  If you wanted to use
McIDAS, you would follow the guidelines/recommendations for it.  If
your objective is to save the raw data that is received, then it is
really up to you.  There should be no difference in data scouring
(something you _must_ remember to do, by the way) since the LDM
application 'scour' can scour directory hierarchies or individual
directories.

>Thanks!

No worries.

>Gary
>
>Gary Huffines, PhD
>Assistant Professor of Meteorology
>University of Northern Colorado
>Department of Earth Sciences
>501 20th Street CB 100
>Greeley, CO 80639
>970-351-1071 (voice)
>970-351-1269 (fax)

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden  Tue Oct 12 13:22:52 2004

Thanks for the help!  It looks like we will be using GEMPAK since that
what one of our faculty members knows, so I will check it out.

Gary