20041006: syslog in ldm-6.1.0

Eirh-Yu Hsie,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Eirh-Yu Hsie <address@hidden>
> Subject: syslog in ldm-6.1.0

> Do we still have the flexibility to specify syslog facility in "ldmadmin"
> script?
>
> In old version (6.0.x), we can specify:
>
> # The facility to use when logging to syslogd(8):
> #
> $logFacility = "local4";
>
> in ~ldm/bin/ldmadmin to local to local4 instead of local0.

Actually, the ldmadmin(1) script never had the ability to modify the
logging "facility" (e.g., "local4" vs. "local0") used by the LDM.  What
the $logFacility variable did do was to set the logging facility used by
the ldmadmin(1) script itself (and not the LDM system).  This variable
should never have been in the "customizable" area of the ldmadmin(1)
script and, so, it was removed.

You can use the "local1" logging-facility instead of "local0" by
rebuilding and reinstalling the LDM.  Do a "make distclean" first and
then execute the configure(1) script with the option "--with_local1"
(without the quotes).  Then build and install the LDM as usual.

Contact me if you have any questions.

> Hsie
>
> "This contents of this message are mine personally and
> do not reflect any position of the Government of NOAA"
>
> Eirh-Yu Hsie
>
> Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciecnes (CIRES)
> University of Colorado
> Boulder, CO 80309-0216
>
> Aeronomy Laboratory/NOAA
> 325 Broadway, R/AL4