20040720: LDM - Redhat 9.0 - Port 388 Problems?

>From: "Robert Dewey" <address@hidden>

Robert,

>Institution: Research
>Package Version: 6.0.14
>Operating System: Redhat 9.0
>Hardware Information: Intel PII 500Mhz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, 4Mbps Connection

>Inquiry: I ran "nmap" to test port 388 for the LDM machine, and it reports
>port 388 as being filtered. I tried running nmap on other university LDM
>hosts, and some come back as "open", while others come back as "filtered".
>
>I was wondering, will filtered ports work just as well as open ports for
>the LDM? Our LDM host goes through a router (firewall disabled, all
>"port 388" requests get directed to the LDM machine).

As long as traffic can flow bidirectoinally through port 388, the LDM
will work.

>We are getting a static IP this after
>noon, (its dynamic right now), but here is the current IP (it shouldn't
>change in the near future): 68.60.162.3

Are you giving us the IP of your LDM machine for a particular reason?
If you are feeding from a Unidata university LDM, you will need to inform
them of your name/IP change.  Also, both forward and reverse name
lookup needs to work before the LDM can operate like it designed to.

>Thanks!

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas