20040718: CRAFT (GPNEXR2) and bzipped data

>From: Gerry Creager N5JXS <address@hidden>

Hi Gerry,

>I've been ingesting craft data to gemdata2.tamu.edu from bigbird.  I've
>finally gotten all the tabs expanded properly so I'm seeing files that
>appear to be appropriate in the directories.

It sounds like you should want the pqact.conf action(s) on gemdata2 to
be identical to the ones on bigbird: ~ldm/etc/pqact.gempak_craft.tamu.
I would simply copy pqact.gempak_craft.tamu from bigbird to gemdata2
and make sure that you run the appropriate set of pqact actions in
~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf:

exec    "pqact -f CRAFT -p BZIP2/K[A-D] etc/pqact.gempak_craft.tamu"
exec    "pqact -f CRAFT -p BZIP2/K[E-K] etc/pqact.gempak_craft.tamu"
exec    "pqact -f CRAFT -p BZIP2/K[L-R] etc/pqact.gempak_craft.tamu"
exec    "pqact -f CRAFT -p BZIP2/K[S-Z] etc/pqact.gempak_craft.tamu"

>I'm running your utility
>to create the symlink from 'craft_all/[date]' to 'craft', which appears
>to be working.

OK.

>I'm *NOT* running dcnexr2 to decompress the data; we decided that wasn't
>necessary.

If you are copying what is on bigbird, then the actions needed are
a FILE that writes the CRAFT pieces for each station to a hidden file
for that station/time followed by an EXEC action that renames the
hidden file to make it visible.

>I'm getting bad file format errors both when I run the script,

Which script?

>which makes pqact complain,

I don't understand.  Are you talking about pqact.conf actions?

>and when I run gpnexr2 interactively I see the
>following:
>
>  GEMPAK-GPNEXR2>l
>  MAP      = 1
>  GAREA    = dset
>  PROJ     = rad
>  RADFIL   = NEXRII|KHGX
>  LATLON   =
>  PANEL    = 0
>  TITLE    = 1
>  TEXT     = 1
>  CLEAR    = yes
>  DEVICE   = xw
>  LUTFIL   = default
>  IMCBAR   =
>  TILT     = .5
>  RADPARM  = dz
>  RADTIM   = last
>  GEMPAK-GPNEXR2>r
>Creating process: xw for queue 1238106115
>  GPMAP PARAMETERS:
>
>  Device:              xw
>  Projection:          rad
>  Graphics area name:  dset
>  Map:                 1
>  Title:               1
>  Panel:               0
>  Latlon:
>  Clear:               YES
>  Image file:          $RAD/craft/KHGX/KHGX_20040719_0257
>
>Enter <cr> to accept parameters or type EXIT:
>Can't read station ID from file, using KHGX
>oops, sweep 0.500000 +/- 20.000000 is null
>  [IM -3]  Image file $RAD/craft/KHGX/KHGX_20040719_0257 not a supported
>format
>  [IM -8]  Could not open LUT file ...
>  [GEMPLT -15]  NIPROJ - Invalid projection specified.
>  [GG -7]  No map drawn.
>  [GEMPLT -15]  NIPROJ - Invalid projection specified.
>  [GG -13]  Error drawing lat/lon grid.
>  Parameters requested: MAP,GAREA,PROJ,RADFIL,LATLON,PANEL,TITLE,TEXT,CLEAR,
>  DEVICE,LUTFIL,IMCBAR,TILT,RADPARM,RADTIM.
>  GEMPAK-GPNEXR2>
>
>Any idea where I'm screwing up?  This ought to be simple...

I am assuming that you are saying that your pqact.conf action(s) on
gemdata2 are screwing up, and that results in the gempak routine failure
when reading a file on disk.  True?

If the answer is yes, then I recommend simply using the
pqact.gempak_craft.tamu file from bigbird and the CRAFT pqact exects
from bigbird's ldmd.conf file.  Since things work on bigbird, they
should work on another Linux machine doing essentially the same
ingest/file/processing.

>Thanks,

No worries.